Property Taxes Due Wednesday, February 10: The second installment of Town of Pawlet property taxes is due February 10. Taxes not paid on or before 2/11/2016 will be delinquent and an 8% penalty added. Thank you, Judy Coolidge, Treasurer, Town of Pawlet
Town of Wells Act 46 Community Discussion, February 10, 6:30 PM, Wells Village School: Act 46 requires change to our current educational structures. It is very challenging for Rutland Southwest Supervisory Union and its member school districts of Ira, Middletown Springs, Poultney, and Wells. An initial study has identified several possible options and provided the Boards with a framework to use when looking at other potential options for each school district. The Board is now considering which direction would be best for its students in the future. One option being considered is for Wells to align with Pawlet and Rupert in their merger study.
Valentine’s Day Party at the Pawlet Public Library, February 13, 4 to 7 PM: All ages are welcome! There will be crafts to create, food to eat and games to play. Stop in for an hour or stay the whole time. This is a free event.
West Pawlet Volunteer Fire Department Pancake Breakfast, Sunday, February 14, 7:30 – 11 AM, West Pawlet fire house: This monthly event is sponsored by and benefits the West Pawlet Volunteer Fire Department. The breakfast menu includes many kinds of pancakes — regular, chocolate chip, blueberry and cranberry and local maple syrup; as well as waffles, West Pawlet’s world-famous home fries, scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon. Beverages include: coffee, tea, milk and orange juice. Starting in January, breakfast prices are $9.00 for 12 years and up, $5.00 for 5-12 years and free to children under the age of 5 years. Breakfast profits are dedicated for the department’s equipment and training needs. New members for the department are welcome. For more information contact: Antonio Landon at 802-345-4312 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Town Offices Closed Monday, February 15, in observance of Presidents’ Day. Regular office hours will resume Tuesday, February 16.
Pawlett Historical Society presents parts 5 and 6 of “The Vermont Movie,” February 21 and March 6, 5 PM, West Pawlet Fire House: PHS members, and the community-at-large, are invited to attend. Admission is free for all attending. Refreshments will be served. Since each of the six parts of “The Vermont Movie” is self-contained, having seen any, or all, of the first four parts is by no means a necessity for attending either of these two concluding parts of the movie. We hope to see you there! Contact: Steve Williams at 802- 645-9529 or by email at email@example.com.
Get Ready for Town Meeting Day, March 1: To get ready for Town Meeting Day, review the Pawlet Town Report, attend the Information Meeting on February 29, 7:30 PM at the Mettawee Community School, and vote at the Town Hall on Tuesday, March 1, 9 AM to 7 PM. The 2016 Town Report is at the printers and will be mailed to members of the community soon. An electronic version is available now on the Pawlet town website http://pawlet.vt.gov/town-offices/town-clerk/. Extra printed copies will be available at the town office and Pawlet and West Pawlet post offices starting the week of February 16, 2016.
Upcoming Pawlet Town Government and School Meetings: All meetings are open to the public and are held at the Pawlet Town Hall on School Street.
- Select Board, Tuesday, February 16. If you have a specific topic to discuss with the board and wish to be added to the agenda, contact Tim at firstname.lastname@example.org by the previous Wednesday to be added to the agenda for the upcoming meeting. The agenda for the meeting will be posted at the Pawlet and West Pawlet Post Offices and on the town website at least 2 days before the meeting.
- Planning Commission Monthly Meeting, Monday, February 22, 7:30 PM.
- UD #47 Annual Meeting – Wednesday, February 24, 2016, 7:30 PM, Mettawee Community School. The UD#47 Annual Reports have been delivered to Sheldon’s Market, the Pawlet Town Hall, the Pawlet Library, the West Rupert Post Office, Sherman’s Store, and the Mettawee Community School. Feel free to go to any of these locations to pick up your report. Warnings for the Union School District #47 and Pawlet Town School District meetings can also be viewed at http://pawlet.vt.gov/schools/school-board/.
- Pawlet Annual Town/School Informational Meeting – Monday, February 29, 2016, 7:30 PM, Mettawee Community School
- Presidential Primary/Town Meeting Day Voting – Tuesday, March 1, 2016, 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM, Town Hall. When you come to the Pawlet Town Clerk’s office on March 1, 2016 to vote in the Presidential Primary, you will be asked which Ballot you would like to vote from, the Democratic or the Republican. Choosing a ballot does not mean you are declaring a party. You will not be asked to declare a party only which ballot you would like. You may only vote on one ballot. Ballots can be viewed at http://pawlet.vt.gov/town-offices/town-clerk/
2016 Community Calendar Ad Phone Number Corrections: Please note the following Ad corrections for the 2016 Mettawee Community PTO’s community calendar:
Rupert Rising Bread and Woodfired Pizza: 802-375-5250
Sherman’s General Store: 802-394-7820
The Mettawee Community PTO apologizes for the printed errors.
Nursing Nook for New Moms Monthly Meetings: Nursing Nook is a comfortable place to ask breastfeeding questions, get advice, and hang out with other nursing moms. Free and open to the public. Presented by WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselors. Monthly meetings at two locations in Pawlet: Pawlet Library, 2nd Friday each month, 2-3 PM and Mettawee Valley Family Health, 4th Monday each month, 9:30-10:30 AM. Questions? Email Brooke at Brooke.Hughes-Muse@vermont.gov.
Rutland Area Visiting Nurse offers monthly community health clinics: The Rutland Area Visiting Nurse Association & Hospice sponsors a wide range of clinics for area residents and businesses, including health education, screening, testing, and adult immunizations. For more information visit http://vermontvisitingnurses.org/events/categories/rutland-area/ to learn about their flu and foot care clinics; cholesterol, diabetes and blood pressure screenings; and many other important services.