Town Clerk Tid-Bits, by Deb Hawkins
Town of Pawlet Annual Meeting and Elections, March 2017: Results for Town Meeting 2017, Town, School & UD #47 Articles and Offices are available here: 2017 Certificate Of Votes.
3 Easy Ways to Get Your Vermont Income Tax Forms from the Vermont Department of Taxes
Please note that the State no longer sends income tax booklets to the Town. There are 3 ways to get your forms:
- Download PDF forms from the web – Download, complete, and print forms at http://www.bit.ly/vttaxforms.
- Order forms by email – Email request to email@example.com.
- Order forms by phone – Call toll-free in the U.S. at (855) 297-5600
When ordering, please provide 1) your name; 2) mailing address; 3) form number or form name; and 4) daytime phone number
- Order your paper forms early (no later than April 1) for timely delivery
- Use current year forms from the same source
- Do not use photocopied forms
- E-file your taxes for a faster refund!
Voter Rights & Registration: For questions about voter rights and registration, please visit the Vermont Secretary of State’s Voter Registration FAQ.
Auto registration renewals can be done by the Town Clerk for a fee of $3.00, if it is not more than two months past due. You must have a check made payable to Department of Motor Vehicles for the amount of the registration renewal. Cash cannot be accepted for a registration renewal; however, the fee to the town may be by check or cash. Note that if you are currently a registered voter, it is not necessary to fill out the Voter Registration portion of your Vermont Driver’s License Renewal.
Green Mountain Passports are available to qualified applicants for $2.00 each. Information is available in the Town Clerk’s Office.
Civil Marriage Licenses are $45.00 and once issued are good for 60 days. Applying for a civil marriage license is not an issued license. A license will be prepared by the Town Clerk once the application is submitted. Residents of Vermont must apply in the town that one or the other applicant resides. Out of state applicants may apply to any town in Vermont. Please note that ALL marriages in the State of Vermont are Civil Marriages.
Dog Licenses: Vermont law requires all dogs over 6 months old to be licensed with the town clerk. Owners must present a current rabies certificate to the town clerk by April 1 each year. If the dog has been spayed or neutered, the certificate for that must also be presented to pay a reduced license fee. Before April 1 the fee for spayed/neutered dogs is $10 and $14 for dogs that have not been spayed/neutered. After April 1 the fees increase to $14 and $20, respectively. VSA Title 20 §3621 states “the legislative body of a municipality may at any time issue a warrant to one or more police officers, or constables, or pound keepers, directing them to proceed forthwith to destroy in a humane way or cause to be destroyed in a humane way all dogs or wolf hybrids within the town or city not licensed …”
E-mail notices: Anyone wishing to receive e-mails from this office regarding elections, office closures, deadlines for dog licenses, voter registration, absentee ballot requests and special notices should e-mail Deb Hawkins at firstname.lastname@example.org; please put “add me to e-mail list” in the subject line.
Contact Information for Deb Hawkins, Town Clerk
Office hours: Monday & Wednesday, 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM; Tuesday, 11 AM – 6 PM; Thursday, 9 AM – 12 PM. Closed Friday.
Location: 122 School St., Pawlet, VT 05761
Mail: PO Box 128, Pawlet, VT 05761
Phone: 802-325-3309 extension 1
All records in the town office are open for public view during business hours.
The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for:
- Administering all local and state elections
- Recording of land records & town proceedings
- Filing and indexing of all births, deaths & marriages (vital records)
- Filing and indexing liens, surveys and an assortment of other documents
- Issuing dog licenses and motor vehicle re-registrations
- Voter registration
- Notarizing documents
- Preservation and restoration of land records and vital records
- Transfer Station Solid Waste ticket sales
- Issuing Green Mountain Passports