Special Meeting to Vote, Tuesday, November 21, 2017, 10 AM to 7 PM, Pawlet Town Hall: The voters of the Pawlet Town School District will vote on two articles. The first article is whether to form the Mettawee School District, and the second article to elect an initial board of school directors for the Mettawee School District, if its formation is approved by the voters. Six directors will be elected, four from Pawlet and two from Rupert. For any questions, contact the Bennington-Rutland Supervisory Union at 802-362-2452. Voters are urged to review the full warning for the November 21 here:  Special Meeting Warning. The Pawlet Rupert Merger Articles of Agreement as provided by the Bennington Rutland Supervisory Union can be viewed here: Merger Report and Articles of Agreement.

The sample ballot for the upcoming Pawlet/Rupert Merger vote can be viewed here: SampleBallot. It is a two sided ballot. I urge you to educate yourselves about the article before voting on November 21. The election workers will not be permitted to discuss the article with you. There will be an informational meeting Tuesday, November 14 at 7:00 PM at the Mettawee Community School. The agenda for that meeting can be viewed here: Informational Meeting November 14, 2017. This will be your opportunity to become more familiar with the Article and how the outcome will affect both Pawlet and Rupert one way or another. Please note, on November  21, the polls will open at 10:00 AM. This is a one-time change for Pawlet voters which was set by the BRSU to conform with the requirements of a merger vote citing that all towns voting on a particular merger must open the polls at the same time.

Pawlet Town Clerk: Deb Hawkins

Assistant Town Clerk: Sue LaPorte

Office hours: Monday & Wednesday, 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM; Tuesday, 11 AM – 6 PM; Thursday, 9 AM – 12 PM. Closed Friday.
Location: 122 School St., Pawlet, VT 05761
Mail: PO Box 128, Pawlet, VT 05761
Phone: 802-325-3309 extension 1
Fax: 802-325-6109
e-mail: pawletclerk@vermontel.net

All records in the town office are open for public view during business hours.

The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for:

  • Administering all local and state elections
  • Recording of land records & town proceedings
  • Filing and indexing of all births, deaths & marriages (vital records)
  • Filing and indexing liens, surveys and an assortment of other documents
  • Issuing dog licenses and motor vehicle re-registrations
  • Voter registration
  • Notarizing documents
  • Preservation and restoration of land records and vital records
  • Transfer Station Solid Waste ticket sales
  • Issuing Green Mountain Passports

Town Clerk Tid-Bits, by Deb Hawkins

Town of Pawlet Annual Meeting and Elections, March 2017: Results for Town Meeting 2017, Town, School & UD #47 Articles and Offices are available here: 2017 Certificate Of Votes.


Deb Hawkins, Pawlet Town Clerk

3 Easy Ways to Get Your Vermont Income Tax Forms from the Vermont Department of Taxes
Please note that the State no longer sends income tax booklets to the Town. There are 3 ways to get your forms:

  1. Download PDF forms from the web – Download, complete, and print forms at http://www.bit.ly/vttaxforms.
  2.  Order forms by email – Email request to taxformsrequest@vermont.gov.
  3.  Order forms by phone – Call toll-free in the U.S. at (855) 297-5600

When ordering, please provide 1) your name; 2) mailing address; 3) form number or form name; and 4) daytime phone number

Quick Tips:

  • Order your paper forms early (no later than April 1) for timely delivery
  • Use current year forms from the same source
  • Do not use photocopied forms
  • E-file your taxes for a faster refund!

Voter Rights & Registration: For questions about voter rights and registration, please visit the Vermont Secretary of State’s Voter Registration FAQ.

Auto registration renewals can be done by the Town Clerk for a fee of $3.00, if it is not more than two months past due. You must have a check made payable to Department of Motor Vehicles for the amount of the registration renewal. Cash cannot be accepted for a registration renewal; however, the fee to the town may be by check or cash. Note that if you are currently a registered voter, it is not necessary to fill out the Voter Registration portion of your Vermont Driver’s License Renewal.

Green Mountain Passports are available to qualified applicants for $2.00 each.  Information is available in the Town Clerk’s Office.

Civil Marriage Licenses are $60.00 and once issued are good for 60 days. Applying for a civil marriage license is not an issued license. A license will be prepared by the Town Clerk once the application is submitted. Residents of Vermont must apply in the town that one or the other applicant resides. Out of state applicants may apply to any town in Vermont. Please note that ALL marriages in the State of Vermont are Civil Marriages.

Dog Licenses: Vermont law requires all dogs over 6 months old to be licensed with the town clerk. Owners must present a current rabies certificate to the town clerk by April 1 each year. If the dog has been spayed or neutered, the certificate for that must also be presented to pay a reduced license fee. Before April 1 the fee for spayed/neutered dogs is $10 and $14 for dogs that have not been spayed/neutered. After April 1 the fees increase to $14 and $20, respectively. VSA Title 20 §3621 states “the legislative body of a municipality may at any time issue a warrant to one or more police officers, or constables, or pound keepers, directing them to proceed forthwith to destroy in a humane way or cause to be destroyed in a humane way all dogs or wolf hybrids within the town or city not licensed …”

E-mail notices: Anyone wishing to receive e-mails from this office regarding elections, office closures, deadlines for dog licenses, voter registration, absentee ballot requests and special notices should e-mail Deb Hawkins at pawletclerk@vermontel.net; please put “add me to e-mail list” in the subject line.