The Pawlet Planning Commission meets Monday, August 26, 2019, 7:30 PM at the Town Hall: Pawlet residents are encouraged to attend this open meeting and offer input on important topics affecting the future of the Town. We will be discussing: 1. Revisions to the Town By-laws; 2. Registration of the Town’s decision to change from a “one-acre” town to a “ten-acre” town; 3. Revision of Zoning Permit applications including, requirements to include a survey for permitting; and permit close-out requirements and time allowance for open permits; 4. Enforcement of the Vermont State Energy Code for new residential construction; 5. New and updates of Town Ordinances. Ed Bove of the Rutland Regional Planning Commission will be present to offer advice on the second issue.
Haystack Hustlers Seniors Group potluck lunch, Tuesday, August 27, 12 PM, Lake Saint Catherine State Park: All area seniors are invited to joins us. In addition to the potluck lunch, there will be a 50/50 raffle. We will also be collecting non-perishable food items for donation to the Food Pantry. For reservations call Sharon Undal at 802-645-0461.
Upcoming Pawlet Town Government Meetings: All meetings are open to the public and are held at the Pawlet Town Hall on School Street in Pawlet Village, except where noted otherwise.
– Pawlet Planning Commission, Monday, August 26, 7:30 PM
– Select Board, Tuesday, August 27, and September 10, 7 PM
– Pawlet Library Board, Tuesday, September 10, 6 PM (held at the Library)
Effective Monday, September 9, 2019, Pawlet Town Clerk Office Hours Will Change to:
Monday—9 AM – 4 PM
Tuesday—9 AM – 4 PM
Wednesday—9 AM – 4 PM
Thursday—9 AM – 12 PM
Thank you, Deb Hawkins, Town Clerk
Pawlett Historical Society Offers Braintree School Open House, Sunday, September 8, 2 – 4 PM: Step back in time in a traditional one room schoolhouse. All our events are free and open to the public.
First Installment of Property Taxes Due September 10, 2019: Property tax bills were mailed on July 24, 2019. The first payment is due September 10, 2019, and the second payment is due February 10, 2020. This is the only bill that property owners will receive. Please mark your calendars to remind yourself of the February payment due date. The Town Treasurer will have extended office hours to accept payments the week of September 2: regular hours on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday; and on Friday 8:30 to 11:30 AM. The same office hours will apply for the week of February 3, 2020. Thank you, Julie Mach, Town Treasurer, 802-325-3309 x 2; email@example.com.
Household Hazardous Waste Event for Pawlet Residents, Saturday, September 14, 2019, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Dorset School, 130 School Drive Dorset, VT: This is a shared household hazardous waste event with the town of Dorset; no fees are charged to residents of Pawlet. For more information, click here.
1. Barn Restaurant Fundraising Dinner and Auction, Monday, September 16, 6-9 PM: The Library Board of Trustees presents both a silent and live auction at The Barn Restaurant in Pawlet. Thanks to donations from our board and generous community members, there are a large number of items available for bidding. Don’t worry if you bid too high–all the money raised goes to the library to support free programs we offer for adults and children and the purchase of new books. Advanced reservations and payment required ($25 per person for dinner). Contact the library at 802-325-3123.
2. “Vermont Life” Skill Share: Session 1: Forest Management, Session 2: Timber Harvesting, Session 3: Firewood; September 21, October 5, October 19, 3-4 PM: Pawlet forester Gabe Russo explains how to manage your woods, harvest trees, and prepare or purchase firewood for your home. In the first two sessions, Gabe will talk about the basics of forest management, consulting foresters, the benefits of active forest management, and what to expect when timber is harvested, including equipment and how wood is marketed. In the last session, he will give you tips on firewood: where and when to buy, split or log length, stacking and best species to burn. When winter comes, you’ll be happy you mastered this skill. For more information, contact the library at 802-325-3123.
Food Pantry Seeks donations: Monetary donations can be mailed to: The Pawlet Community Church, PO Box 116 Pawlet, 05761. Attention: Tim Bryant. The Pawlet Community Church is deeply grateful for your support.
Rutland Area Visiting Nurse offers monthly community health clinics: The Rutland Area Visiting Nurse Association & Hospice sponsors a wide range of clinics for area residents and businesses, including health education, screening, testing, and adult immunizations. For more information visit http://vermontvisitingnurses.org/events/categories/rutland-area/ to learn about their flu and foot care clinics; cholesterol, diabetes and blood pressure screenings; and many other important services.
Join Front Porch Forum to know what is happening: Check it out at http://FrontPorchForum.com/. It’s free. It’s local. And it’s friendly.