The Board of Tax Abatement will meet virtually on Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 6:30 PM, to discuss abatement of property taxes on the following properties owned by:
- Kathi Barese for Irene Barese, 500 Briar Hill Road, Parcel ID #0010-0500 (6:30-6:55 PM)
- Roland & Elizabeth Gibson, 229 Robinson Hill Road, Parcel ID #0027-0229 (7:00-7:25 PM)
Information on how to participate virtually is available here: BTA Oct 13 2020
Board of Civil Authority
The members of the Board of Civil Authority include members of the Select Board, the elected Justices of the Peace, and the Town Clerk. The BCA has the following responsibilities:
- reviewing and approving applications for addition to the voter checklist;
- purging the checklist every two years;
- to provide help with running elections (such as assistance during voting hours, tallying ballots at the close of the election); and
- hearing grievances from taxpayers (if the taxpayer disagrees with the Board of Listers decision on the property assessment).
The members of the Board of Civil Authority in Pawlet are: Justices of the Peace Raymond Duquette, Sr., Mary Elizabeth Moser-Duquette, Sue LaPorte, Rebecca C. Hulett, Sally Cleveland, Eric Mach, John Malcolm; and Select Board members Mike Beecher, John Malcolm, Edgar Cleveland, and Robert Jones and Charles Weeden. Clerk of the Board is Deb Hawkins, Pawlet Town Clerk.
Board of Tax Abatement
The Board of Tax Abatement has the authority to abate all or a portion of a resident’s property taxes, collection fees, and interest assessed by the Town according to specific criteria established by Vermont State Statutes. The Board meets as required to hear requests for tax abatement, and is comprised of the town clerk, the town treasurer, the Select Board, and the elected justices of the peace.